- Must be a veteran of any branch of the Armed Services of United States.
- Applicants will be required to submit to a pre-placement drug screen. They should also have a recovery plan in place that includes weekly attendance at drug / alcohol outpatient support group.
- Applicants must lack fixed and regular permanent housing.
- Applicants should be medically and mentally stable enough to live safely in an unsupervised community living setting.
- Applicants are required to undergo a background check. Any applicant who is a registered sex offender, arsonist, or has an outstanding warrant for his/her arrest will not be accepted into this program.
- Applicant should be willing to follow program goals and requirements, and be willing to work cooperatively with staff and other residents.
- Applicants must be willing to actively search for employment within the first 30 days of residency, or if on a disability be willing to engage in constructive daily activities. All residents must be willing to transition to an independent living situation
- Any applicant who is on probation must be willing to sign an information release that allows staff to share information with his/her assigned probation officer.
- Applicants must attend a screening interview conducted by the VA Pittsburgh, HCHV staff prior to being accepted into the program.